Thursday, October 28, 2010

Who are you?

Imagine this: your life comes to a halt. All motion comes to a standstill and it is only you in the silence. Not a sound can be heard. As you look around you, you can see that time is frozen.Used to the blur of your everyday busyness, you are stunned by this moment of utter stillness. In fact, it might seem a little uncomfortable.You are abruptly forced to confront the one person you've lost touch with: you. 

A gentle voice whispers in your ear, "who are you?". 

You immediately answer, "I'm Jane Doe". 

The voice prompts you further and says, "no really, who ARE you?" 

You take a second to come up with a series of answers, "I'm a teacher. A mother. A runner. A pet-lover.". 

"No", the voice replies and repeats, "who are you?" 

Flustered by the repetition of these seemingly useless questions, you respond with an exasperated tone, "I just told you but if you must know, I'm also a daughter, a sister, a wife, a friend."

Your jumbled words seem to fall into emptiness and silence follows. Just as you try to digest the meaning of this conversation, the voice returns: 


"I am asking...who are you? I am not asking what you are. The labels you've mentioned are just that...labels. Removing these, what is left? Who are you? What is your essence?"


Stunned by the depth of this question, you are unable to answer. You're painfully aware of the silence and the stillness. After only a few short moments, you are thrust back into the chaos of your everyday life. The mysterious voice has unsettled you and the question haunts you. To make any sense of it, you must open the door to a new journey of self-discovery.

Enter a life coach.

The most common question I am asked over and over again is, "what is a life coach?" To each person, I give a different answer as there are so many ways to define it. Ultimately, the role of a life coach is to support individuals in their pursuit for a better life.To each person, this will have a different meaning. For some, it may mean improving relationships at home and at work. For others, it may mean getting out of a rut and moving forward. The scenarios are endless but enhancing self-awareness lies at the root of all forms of life coaching.

Life is hectic. We lose ourselves in the mad rush to get everything done. We drift along and settle for a "good enough for now" life that cheats us out of our potential.

Have you explored your sacred purpose? Are you living your most authentic life?

Who are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment